Contact our Hillington office
• A very rare opportunity to acquire a former Rectory situated within a rural location,
• Georgian style Rectory,
• Adjoining cottage
• Traditional outbuildings
• Gardens including walled garden, woodland, paddocks and amenity grounds extending in all to about 3.98 hectares (9.45 acres) or thereabouts.
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE, ASHWICKEN, KINGS LYNN PE32 1LN
A very rare opportunity to acquire a former Rectory situated within a rural location, comprising: Georgian style Rectory, adjoining cottage, traditional outbuildings, gardens including walled garden, woodland, paddocks and amenity grounds extending in all to about 3.98 hectares (9.45 acres) or thereabouts.
This property is habitable, but may benefit from further modernisation, decoration and improvement.
Method of Sale
The property is initially offered for sale by private treaty as a whole.
The Vendors and their Agents reserve the right to invite best and final offers
within a predetermined timescale if there is a substantial level of interest.
The property is situated to the south of the village of Ashwicken, off Church Lane, as identified on the attached location plan.
Viewing is strictly by prior appointment only with the Vendors’ Sole agents, CRUSO & WILKIN Tel: 01553 691691
Tenure and Possession
The Old Rectory is offered freehold and vacant possession will be given upon
completion, subject to any rights of holdover referred to herein.
Council Tax is payable to The Borough Council of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk
the current banding is:- The Old Rectory Band G
Rectory Cottage Band A
Property History -The Old Rectory has only been lived in by three families since it
was built by Rev. John Freeman in 1842: the rector himself (1841-1877), the Rev.
A.J. Groom and family (1877-1939) and the Leake family (1939-2020).
The Rev. Freeman was a wealthy bachelor who had built "a neat Rectory" in 10
acres of land when he became the incumbent of All Saints' Church, Ashwicken. He
arranged for the estate to be self-sufficient with a large house for himself with live-in
servants' quarters incorporating a deep well (the hand pump for this well is still in the
scullery) and an attached heated conservatory/greenhouse, a cottage for his groom,
stables for at least two horses (when I first knew this building there were two loose-
boxes and two stalls) with a hay-loft over and a coach house (now the garage)
round a cobbled yard a with water pump. There were various other outbuildings
including a wash-house up the garden (now fallen into disrepair but I remember it
with two enormous copper wash bowls, one over a fire, and a mangle still there),
outside lavatories and a brewhouse under a mound of earth on which he planted a
Corsican Pine tree (a large part of which has recently died). The door of the
brewhouse was bricked up when I first knew it but when my father knocked a hole in
it and we scrambled in, we found remains of old hooped cider barrels in the alcoves
inside. The grounds comprised a half-walled garden for vegetables, two orchards, a
5-6 acre field with a cow byre and a small wood. When I was young I remember that
there were hops and very old trees of cider apples as well as several varieties of
eating and cooking apples, pears and 7 varieties of plums/greengages/damsons/
bullaces growing in the gardens and orchards .
The Rev. A.J. Groom, whose parents lived in the nearby Ashwicken Hall, was
appointed rector as a young man in 1877 and lived there with his family until shortly
before the Second World War and apparently made few changes. The diocese then
decided the large rectory was too expensive to maintain and built a "modern" rectory
on the main road and sold off the old rectory to Philip and Anne Leake in the autumn
of 1939. They brought up their family there succeeded by their son Nicholas, a who
tragically died in 2019. Many of the features of the house remain unchanged
from when it was built, including a set of bells in the kitchen issuing from the front of
the house and a bread oven and hand pump for the well in the scullery which also
has a bell-pull for a bell atop the house which summoned people in to meals.
Supplied by Mrs L Carter (née Leake).
Local Amenities and Recreation
The village of Gayton is 3 miles east of the property, supporting local butchers, post office, fuel filling station with convenience store, pub and other local business; Ashwicken and Gayton having Primary Schools.
Ashwicken is within close proximity of King’s Lynn, and Swaffham, supporting a range of local and national stores together with further Schooling, Sporting facilities, Amenity, Recreation and Leisure facilities, etc.
The North Norfolk Coast is approximately 20 miles north of the property offering additional Sporting, Leisure and Recreational activities.
King’s Lynn benefits from a railway station with a direct rail link to London (Kings Cross).
The sporting rights in so far as they exist are included in the sale of the freehold.
Timber and Mineral Rights
These, in so far as they are relevant and owned, are to be included with the
Independent mains water, mains electricity, domestic drainage to private
Systems within the curtilage of the property.
Independent oil fired boilers servicing hot water and domestic heating. Solar
panels to obscured roof pitch.
All existing outgoings, drainage rates, wayleaves, easements (where applicable)
will be apportioned up to completion.
The Vendors reserve the right of holdover to remove personal effects and
chattels from the Rectory and buildings, not to exceed one month from
There will be no ingoing valuation. All matters of tenant right are included within this sale. There will be no consideration or allowance whatsoever for dilapidations
Wayleaves, Easements and Rights of Way
The sale is subject to all rights of support, public and private rights of way, water, light, drainage, and other easements, quasi easements and wayleaves, all or any other like rights whether mentioned in these particulars or not.
The Vendor retains 50% of any increase in value above the existing value on
the total property for any non agricultural development/use carried out on the
property for a period of 25 years with the exception of equestrian use,
accommodation or business use, annexed to The Old Rectory.
The Purchaser(s) to bind their successors in title. The trigger to be commencement
of development or sale of the property, with the benefit of such consent at market
THE OLD RECTORY, COTTAGE AND GROUNDS
3.82 hectares (9.45 acres) or thereabouts edged RED on the attached site plan.
Traditionally built circa 1842 as the Rectory to All Saints Church, situated to the
north of the property; a detached residence with annexed cottage and traditional
outbuildings including coach house, stables and subterranean “Brew House”.
The Rectory is predominately built of brick construction under a double pitched
slate roof sliding sash windows to all aspects with full length sash windows to the
ground floor principle rooms. Moulded cornices to the ceilings in the principle
Rectory Cottage is again principally of brick construction under pitched slate and
pantiled roofs, the windows within this cottage have been replaced with UPVC
double glazed units.
The other outbuildings are predominantly of brick construction with other building
materials including Carstone, under a range of different roof coverings including
Slate, clay pantile, and modern concrete tiles.
The Old Rectory benefits from the following spacious accommodation:-
Front Entrance: Hardwood door, part glazed to:-
Entrance Hall with wide Stairs to First Floor: 4.71m x 3.05m Cloak hanging
area below stairs, passage to study. Split level stairs to First Floor with
mahogany hand rail and painted baluster rails. Radiators to Hall and on split
Study: 4.48m x 3.65m (max into recess) Dual aspect to north and east. Tiled
fireplace with wooden surround. Radiator. Wall shelving and bookcases. Door
to shelved cupboard.
Dining Room: 5.48m x 4.48m Dual aspect to south and east with full length
sash windows. Marble feature fireplace with cast iron insert. Radiator. Door
to Entrance Hall.
Drawing Room: 5.63m x 4.46m Double full length sash windows looking
south to the gardens. Marble surround fire surround with tiled hearth and back.
Kitchen/ Breakfast Room: 5.93m x 4.33m (max into recess) Yellow brick
floor. Oil fired Rayburn. Two built in (one walk in) shelved storage cupboards,
Either side of central unit with cupboards and drawers. Radiator.
Door to Cellar.
Cellar: Not accessed or measured as lighting not available and suitability of
Scullery: 6.29m x 3.0m (max) Rear access door to covered porch area
(1.51m x 0.94m). Features a built in Bread Oven (Cooper of Lynn), open
Fireplace, Old water hand pump, stone butlers sink with tiled splashback.
Pamment floor. Electric cooker point. Built in shelved cupboard.
Folding preparation wall table.
Rear corridor to:-
Larder Store: 4.99m x 3.42m max Stepped room part brick and part pamment
Floor. Zinc meshed window to north. Part shelved. Thermecon oil fired boiler.
Storage Room 2: 3.25m x 2.79m Pamment floor, part shelved, grilled window
China storeroom: 2.23m x 1.44m Shelved interior with additional storage
area under stairs.
Cloakroom / W.C.: 1.6m x 1.37m + 1.53m x 1.56m Stepped room, full length
window. Shelved side with drawers below. Seep up to W.C. and hand wash
basin. Plumbing for Washing Machine.
Main stairs to split level and top Landing area with radiator. Doors off to:
Bedroom 1: 4.61m x 3.78m max Feature Fireplace with cast iron insert
radiator. Window to East.
Bedroom 2: 5.50m x 4.61m Feature Fireplace with cast iron insert and grate
radiator. Dual aspect with windows to East and South. Link access door to:
Bedroom 3: 4.75m x 4.47m Fireplace with cast iron insert. Radiator. Window to South. Built in cupboard.
Landing Storage Cupboard: 1.72m x 1.04m Shelved interior.
Airing Cupboard: 1.46m x 0.98m Shelved interior. Gledhill hot water pressure
Bedroom 4: 4.46m x 3.77m Fireplace with cast iron and tiled insert. Radiator. Window to North.
Bathroom: 4.43m x 2.16m Bathroom suite (part tiled) including Bath, W.C.,
Pedestal hand wash basin, electric towel rail. Glass surround shower cubicle
with tiled surround.
Bedroom 5: 4.65m x 3.01m Fireplace with cast iron insert. Radiator. Window
to South. Link access door to Bedroom 6.
Landing Storage Cupboard: 1.01m x 0.78m
Landing corridor to: Former Servants Quarters
Bedroom 6: 3.03mn x 2.81m + 1.94m x 1.04m L-shaped room. Wall cupboard. Radiator. Window to South.
Rear Corridor with rear stairs to ground floor.
W.C.: 3.19m x 1.09m split room with W.C. Corner Hand Wash Basin, part tiled
Further access corridor to former servants quarters:
Bathroom: 2.67m x 2.20m + 1.53m x 1.19m Irregular shaped room with
enamel bath, electric wall heater, hand wash basin.
Room 1: 5.08m x 3.24m Fireplace with cast iron insert. Window to south.
Access door to:
Room 2: 3.23m x 2.88m Window to South.
The Old Rectory is located within its own gardens and grounds including
wooded copse, lawned gardens with water feature, leading to a south facing walled garden with various fruit trees, shrubs enclosed by low box edged paths with flower borders and vegetable beds. Brick arched passage leads towards the “Brew House” domed brick construction with cask compartments on earth floor. Landscaped above. The property leads in a westerly direction to an amenity area
surrounded by mature and semi mature trees (including Giant Redwood planted by
the current owners), laid to grass. To the south of the gardens are further
paddocks, previously sectioned into smaller enclosures, serviced with separate
water supply to water trough and separate access off Church Lane.
In total it is estimated that the property extends to 9.45 acres or thereabouts.
OLD RECTORY COTTAGE
Supports the following
Front door to entrance Hall
Stairs to first floor
Living Room: 3.67m x 3.02m
Fireplace with Woodburner.
Kitchen: 3.78m x 2.04m average
Irregular shaped room.
Open fireplace with tiled hearth.
Radiator. Floor cupboards and
drawers with worksurfaces above.
Wall cupboards. Spot lighting. Tiled floor. Electric cooker point and extractor.
Rear Utility: 4.58m x 1.10m (estimated) irregular shaped room. Radiator. Rear
access door. Door to storage room. Enamel single drainer sink. Spot lighting.
Recess for washing machine and cold feed.
Pantry: 1.42m x 1.38m Part shelved Light and power.
Narrow stairs to first floor landing area
W.C.: 1.33m x 1.24m LLW.C., hand wash basin, towel rail.
Bedroom 1: 3.69m x 3.04m Small fireplace with cast iron insert. Radiator.
Bedroom 2: 3.76 x 2.06m Irregular shape. Walk through room to Bathroom.
Bathroom: 3.96 x 1.47m Step down. Bath with shower above and shower
curtain. Pedestal hand wash basin. Extractor. Part tiled.
Airing Cupboard: Part shelved.
Storage Room: 4.57m x 4.11m Plumbing for
washing machine. Grant oil fired boiler. Stairs to
room over coach house. Door to additional storage
Covered Storage Area: 3.23mx 2.12m
Two Stores (monopitched slate roof requiring
repair). Link access passageway with doors to
The Coach House (Garage): 4.77m x 3.98m
Link attached to the Rectory Cottage.
Ground floor area serviced by double wooden doors opening into open span storage area with power points.
The First Floor is accessed by open stairs within the Cottage Storage Room, door opening into an open plan room 5.89m x 3.97m.
The Stables: Gross ground floor area 8.9m x 5.18m Traditional brick built barn with pitched replacement concrete tiled roof. Ground floor with double wooden access doors and personnel access door, divided into open plan storage, garage area and separate workshop area with power and light.
First Floor hay loft area with loft ladder and first floor side access door.
NB The Selling Agents have not accessed the loft area as the safety of loft ladder not checked.
Rear parking area and bunded fuel
storage tank to Cottage.
Coal Shed (to front aspect)
Lean-to Storage Buildings
Building 1 - 2.94m x 2.13m
Building 2 - 2.96m x 1.99m
Building 3 - 3.04m x 2.05m
Wayleaves, Easements and Rights of Way
The sale is subject to all support, public and private rights of way, water, light, drainage, and other easements, quasi easements and wayleaves, all or any other like rights, whether mentioned in these particulars or not.
Value Added Tax
Should the sale of this property, or any rights attached to it, become chargeable to Value Added Tax, then the tax at the prevailing rate will be payable by the Purchasers in addition to the contract price.
Town and Country Planning
The property is offered subject to any existing Development Plan, Tree Preservation Order, Ancient Monument, Town Planning Schedule, or Resolution which may be or may come into force. The Purchasers will be deemed to have full knowledge and have satisfied themselves as to the provisions of any such matters affecting the property.
Boundaries, Plans, Areas Schedules and Disputes
The Purchaser will be deemed to have full knowledge of the boundaries and areas and any mistake or error shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation in respect thereof. Should any dispute arise as to the boundaries or any points arise on the general remarks, stipulations, particulars, schedule, plan or the interpretation of any of them, questions shall be referred to the selling Agents whose decision acting as experts shall be final.
To book a viewing or make an enquiry, please complete this form.